11 March 2011

Fat Friday...

What?

It's Fat Friday already

Well, we'd better get our bake on then hadn't we?

Apparently, it's national pie week. Now don't get me wrong, I think pies are great. You've got your steak and ale, your apple and even your whoopie, but somewhere along the line my brain just stops and says....no. Don't choose pie Danni, choose cake. Soft, moist, sweet sticky cake with lashings of icing and a good old cup of tea.

And to that I say, OKAY.


Apologies to all the pie fans out there, to the lost souls who were loomed in by my mention of pie week. But really...there's no competition in my eyes. This week's recipe is an old faithful, a sweet treat served in pretty much every tea shop you can find [and trust me, I've been to a fair few].

Need another clue?


It's made with carrots.

Wait...was that too easy?

Yep, you guessed it. The one and only carrot cake. Carrot and poppy seed cake with orange cream-cheese frosting to be precise.

Sounds poncy right? It's really not. Super easy to make, super easy to eat. And super super easy to mess up without feeling bad. That massive drip up there? It's what we call rustic, darling.

Y'see, you can get away with pretty much any aesthetical demeanours in baking by simply admitting that it's homemade. By owning up to the sheer amount of blood sweat and tears that went into it, scaring away any slightly negative comments, and then feeling a teensy bit guilty because actually, it wasn't that hard at all.


This one is definitely worth a try if you've got friends round for a cuppa, or maybe as an alternative birthday cake. Or maybe you just really don't like pie.

Either way, you can get my write up of the recipe here. Mix, bake, smile and enjoy. And remember kids, save a pie, eat a carrot cake.




41 comments:

FoodPilgrims said...

Yum yum yum yum, carrot cake is second only to lemon cake in my eyes - and it's very healthy of course.... well, it's got carrots in it....I love those little sugar carrots you can get to decorate it!
xx

Inez said...

yummie yummie yummie!!!!!!!

Louise Nowelle said...

Aww man, such a wonderful sight at this time in the morning!

Lou xx

www.wallpaperrose.blogspot.com

Mo said...

Ohh, this looks good! Everyone seems to be posting food today and it's making me very hungry! xx

Anonymous said...

I love carrot cake!
+ yours looks delicious! I seriously need to go make some cake now :) x

Miss T said...

Carrot cake is my favourite cake ever!! It looks delicious (: My flatmates always joke that all I eat is carrots, so when they found out I love carrot cake they just laughed at me (:

Maria Fallon said...

Carrot cake is definitely one of my favourites :) The pictures are making me hungry though!

Maria xxx

A La Mode said...

Woah this looks awesome!

Sophie said...

Now I need to hunt out some carrot cake on my lunch break!
Sophie
x

Nicci St. Bruce said...

I am now officially craving this!

Sophie Isobel said...

I love your fat friday posts! I always have to go and get a biscuit or something afterwards though...
:)
x

ching said...

oh that's one mouth watering food.

Cylia said...

haha 'who you calling a drip':p and that cake.. yum! looks so good.. the icing on the cake.. drool.

daisychain said...

holy.amazing.

I worship at the temple of carrot cake.

I love you.

Becci said...

It does look yummy.

www.faintheartedsparrow.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

This looks ABSOLUTELY BEAUTIFUL!

Hannah. said...

Looks delicious!!!xxx

Jazzy E (Hivenn) said...

Looks so lovely. Carrot cake is my favourite ever. x hivennn

Olivia said...

YUM! :D x

ellio100 said...

looks fantastic! i've been meaning to find a new carrot cake recipe :D

Stephanie said...

haha 'fat friday' love it. This looks so yummy too, I want some x

Gemx said...

That looks yummy and fantastic! I love the pictures :)

Lia Waroka Putri said...

I want to eat cakes now =D

Anonymous said...

Nom nom nom! Pass me some over the internet?! :D

Sherin said...

Nom nom nom. Looks delicious. I'm a bit of a cake fiend!

shabby said...

OH MAN. That looks beyond delicious. You really piled on the frosting, which is my favorite bit, ha!

xx shabby
http://lapoubelleverte.com/blog/

Sabrina Tassini said...

it's so funny this post my dear:)
like your style, i'v seen older posts outfit!
Come and follow me?I'd be very happy if you do it!!:)
i wait u on mine

patchworkporter.blogspot.com

Bread, Butter And Fashion said...

Very nice & interesting blog.. you have a new follower! :)
xo
Elisabetta

http://breadbutterandfashion.blogspot.com

Hannaliis said...

It look really delicious,
nom nom nom

love your blog, it is cool!

xx, hannaliis

Dreamer said...

Oh delicious cake!
followin you!!
www.lechevrenoir.blogspot.com
xo

Unknown said...

oH mmannnn i want some :-(

http://lolitasfashionideas.blogspot.com/

dejoiss said...

It looks delicious. :)

dejoiss ♥

http://dejoiss.blogspot.com/

RainCooper said...

Yum Carrot cake. Looks so good. X

Felicia said...

omg YUM. love carrot cake.

Emma said...

Yummm it looks so delish!

fritha louise said...

Oh my goodness that looks SO delicious! As much as I love a good pie I think I'd choose your cake over a pie any day. Yum!

Unknown said...

mmmm looks delish! I love carrot cake!

Deanna said...

Mmmmm. This looks delicious!

Unknown said...

I. Missed. Pie. Week? Are you kidding? That's ruined my day. But this cake looks tasty and by the sounds of it you had an alternative to pie as well so I don't feel quite so leftover *runs to Tescos to browse the pie aisle* jazzy ♥

CHECKS AND SPOTS said...

Oh. My. Goodness. This looks incredible! Carrot Cake is actually my fave sweet treat...
Yummmmm x

Anonymous said...

I love your talking frosting. Really. Amazing.
xx

http://charlesbgoode.blogspot.com