25 March 2011

Fat Fridays...


 Normally this is my cue to complain how quickly the week has flown by, how subsequently unprepared I am and then, as with the last two weeks, try desperately to turn some mediocre recipe into something vaguely readable or, at worst, just link to some others on the internet.

This week however, having waved goodbye to uni for a few weeks, I've been having to talk myself into not posting this one early, for fear that it would upset Fat Friday [yes, it has become a living entity now] when its slot became empty as a result.

So basically, I've been baking like a mad-lady and then sitting on my hands [and stuffing my face with said goods] in order to stop myself from posting it before Friday. Well fellow sweet-toothed readers, it will be worth the wait. Behold, peanut butter pecan biscotti...

INGREDIENTS

Yet another joy adapted from, well...Joy. That woman is a baking queen I tell you - these turned out perfectly, albeit a little too perfect in making me want to gobble the lot. Just follow the steps below and voila, heaven on a plate. Or in your belly.

Pre-heat the oven to gas mark 3 // 325°F // 170°C and line two baking trays with greaseproof paper.

Sift the flour into a mixing bowl and stir in the salt and baking powder.

In a separate bowl cream the sugar, peanut butter and regular butter together until fluffy

I'm never entirely sure what this is meant to mean...fluffy to me is bunny rabbits and cotton wool, not butter and sugar, but hey - just beat it together til pale and smooth.


Now it's time to separate your eggs. You need one whole egg, plus an extra yolk, but it's worth saving the white for brushing the dough with later. Confused? ...


...sorted. That's one and a half eggs on the left and half an egg on the right. Simples.

Beat the egg [the one with two yolks] and mix into the creamed butters and sugar until you have something that looks like this...


Hmmm...attractive. Don't worry though, if it looks like a cross between baby food and fudge, you're on the right track.

Now just add the dry ingredients to the wet mix gradually, stirring as you go.


 When it's all mixed together, it should form a dry but shapeable dough. Now just add the pecans and mix them in with your hands.


And now it's baking time! Divide the dough into two, shape into rectangular sausages [geometry never was my strong point] and place one on each baking tray.


Remember that extra egg white? Just beat it [...beat it] with a splash of milk and brush onto the nutty loaves - you can sprinkle sugar on too if you like.

Into the oven they go for around 15 minutes, then swap shelves and bake for a further 20 mins.

When they come out they should look deliciously golden, and the smell, man that smell is good. But alas, it's all a tease as they need to be sliced up and re-baked.


Cut into slices about an inch thick and place cut-side down on the baking tray. 

According to the original recipe, they should only need another 10 minutes in the oven tops, but mine needed more like 15, perhaps a little longer for those on the bottom shelf.
When they are golden and slightly crispy on top, bring them out of the oven and allow to cool...if you can wait.


And there you have it, sugar topped, nut-filled biscotti slices. I can't help thinking how great these would taste spread with nutella. And when I say spread I mean an undignified dunk straight into the jar. I'm such a lady.

They might turn out a little skewiff, lumpy and bumpy in parts, but don't worry, their uneven shape could make for some interesting developments...


A French-speaking, peanut-flavoured moustache biscuit?

Why, don't mind if I do.


48 comments:

Lauren said...

LOVE this! I want to make these but everyone in my house seem to be freaks who don't like peanut butter in biscuit form. Or fudge form. (I have tried before) THE LOSERS.

Anonymous said...

I cannot even tell you how much I have been looking forward to this Fat Fridays post, especially after trying the Oreo truffles. I can't wait to try and make these tomorrow as a hangover treat :) xx

Mo said...

WOW!!! I love pecan and I have a biscotti for breakfast everyday so these are right up my street...if only I could bake!! Do you deliver? HA! I've just showed my friend from work, as she loves peanut butter and she is going to try them out this weekend!
Hope you have a great weekend. P.s. thank you for your lovely comments on my blog! xxx

Sick by Trend said...

mamma mia!! delicious!! :) really cool blog, Im following!

Look my blog and if you like it, follow me!

www.sickbytrend.com

xx

sBt

Alex said...

Your food photographs are really gorgeous! The colour balance is always off when I take pictures of food and they look really unappetising, ahaha.

These look so delicious!
xxx

daisychain said...

Actually drooling! What a shame no one in our house likes peanut butter but me...I'll have to eat the lot myself

(I currently have a jar of white chocolate peanut butter on the go, YUM!)

Lauren Setterberg said...

Oh those are brilliant, well done!

A said...

ha that last pic made me laugh. was the moustache intentional cos its pretty good!!
they look YUM, hungry now xx

flights of fancy said...

I'm definitely going to be giving these a try over the weekend!
Anything with peanut butter in is fine by me!

x

Winnie said...

Yummy, I seriously love your baking posts! This looks so easy, I really reallllly must try this!

Kimberly said...

looks amazing!

fashionlem0ns.blogspot.com

La_Flaneuse said...

I LOVE the visual display of the ingredients! Very creative and cute! (also...drooling over the biscuits! teehee)

Bubbs...

www.paris-on-my-mind.blogspot.com

Chloe said...

Forgive me waistline, for I am about to sin!

PEANUTS and PECANS in one? HAND ME THE BAKING TRAY!

anthe said...

that looks so so so good!
only.. my mom doesn't trust me in the kitchen so i'll never be able to make them. she does have a point, though, so i guess it's for my own good.

ching said...

oh me too, i agree how the week just flies by so fast.
and the last photo amused me.haha

Unknown said...

omg, this post made me so hungry!
Love your blog - will definitely follow! xxx

[Anna] said...

I've just come across your blog and was greeted with this amazing recipe! It looks sooo yummy, i love peanut butter. Definitely going to give it a try.x

Unknown said...

OMG soooo yummy :) Def need to try it out

Great blog :) Def following you from now on. Nice to see an UK Blogger :D

Reckless Rekha. said...

Amazing!

that look so Yummy <3

StephanieDJL said...

...I think I'm drooling.

Kathryn said...

fab post - look super yummy! i've also tagged you in my latest post (: xx

Hayles said...

YUM! I need to make these, along with the cupcake fondue of course

cowbiscuits said...

oh wow these look AMAZING!!! xx

Maria Fallon said...

You HAVE to make these when you are back at uni, they look AMAZING! :D

Maria xxx

Charlie said...

OMG this looks soooo good. i will totally try this thanks for the tip. i love pb.

Coco Rebelle - click ♡
xxo

Yu said...

Omg they look frikkin' amazing. Coming over on Fridays next term, hope you're ready. Hahaha jk <3

FASHION TALES said...

My goodness, these look sooo delicious!
Thanks! Happy Friday! -xxoo

Ladyofashion

Tara said...

Nice post , i love cooking :)

Jazzy E (Hivenn) said...

Biscotti is god. x hivennn p.s enter my giveaway?

Sarah Knight said...

Ooh! Those look so delicious!

rebecca said...

yeah, definitely remind me of festivals and the freedom of summer :) and thanks a lot sweetheart!! xx

fritha louise said...

Nom! Those look delicious. Who doesn't love biscotti. And with peanut butter too. Just perfect.
I now have a strange desire to make mustache shaped biscuits..

Chloe Mia said...

These look delicious!

chloe-mia.blogspot.com x

Simone said...

these look SO good, i dont like nuts so i wont be trying it out! but i will just drool at how yummy them look!

Anonymous said...

these look great :)
I am gonna try it.
x

Sarah - essbeevee said...

Oh my LORD these look incredible. Damn you, missy, I'm on a diet!

Miss Pepper Vintage said...

Jummy- I love your Fat Friday post!!!
Great pictures!!!
X Milla

Mary Lee said...

ah they look so yummy! thanks for the recipe :)

hope you'll visit/follow
www.marylee31.blogspot.com

Jade Purple Brown said...

those look so yummy, great post!

jadepurplebrown.com

QuiteQuaint said...

they look absolutely gorgeous! i love anything with peanut butter, ill definitely be making these this week. fat friday is such a good post idea too :)

Anna said...

They look delicious and the recipe sounds quite easy!
Thanks for sharing.
xx

Lucie - A Taste Of Vogue said...

This looks so ridiculously good! Id love to live close to you just so we could bake together =]

Anonymous said...

Oh, YUM!! I'm going to have to give this a go, thank you for the recipe darling x

Melissa said...

thats some delish mostache haha :D aweeesome blog :)
Xx

bloggerprofie said...

Yum! Thanks for sharing! I need to get the ingredients and give this a go!

flotsam & flummery said...

Oh wow, my mouth just completely watered. I've never even heard of this before, but I definitely want to make it now...it looks so delicious!

eliza said...

YUM YUM YUM YUM. These look incredible.

xx

Indigo said...

I've just found your blog but I love it and all the recipes! I really like your writing style too! it makes me chuckle! X