22 April 2011

Fat Fridays...


I can't deny it, my fingers were itching to type in an ultra witty Easter pun for this title, but for fear of driving away any eggstra sensitive readers, I thought I'd stick to my guns and just crack on with it.

Oops.

So yesterday was a disaster. After deciding to make some Easter-themed whoopie pies I bought and photographed the ingredients, mixed 'em up according to the recipe, put them in the oven and then re-read the instructions. Turns out the gut feeling that 200g of icing sugar didn't seem quite the right addition was actually pretty accurate....it was in fact to ice the pies, as that's what icing sugar usually does, Danni.

Again, oops.

But actually, I think I might have stumbled across the perfect cookie. Sweet, moist and chewy [even after 20 odd minutes of cooking], these biscuits are pretty delicious, if not very easy on the eye.


They say the origin of the Whoopie pie's name comes from the cheers people would give when they found one in their lunchbox....or something like that. Well, my thoughts upon seeing these merge into one sticky mass in the oven were less "whoopie!" and more "wah-waah", but still I can't help myself picking at the trimmings. Maybe the best discoveries are always complete disasters after all?!

So, for those of you chortling at my whoopie-loss, and longing to try these treats [which as a result of said disaster I'm actually yet to try...but i'm sure are delightful] you can head here for a simple recipe - just crush up some mini eggs and stud them to the pies before baking.

And for anyone still reading, and full of intrigue about Danni's-wah-waah cookies...read on.

A RECIPE FOR DISASTER


Line a baking tray with greaseproof paper and preheat the oven to GM 4 // 180°C // 350° F.

Melt the butter gently and set aside.

Use an electric whisk to beat the egg until light and airy, and add the caster sugar gradually until thick and glossy.

Beat in the melted butter, soured cream, milk and vanilla until mixed and then sift in the flour and baking powder. You should get a thick, gloopy mixture that looks something like this...


And here begins the purposeful disaster, if you want to make whoopie pies, now's your last chance to turn back! Sift in the icing sugar [yes, all 200g of it... and no, no I don't know what made me think it was a good idea either, but the result is mighty fine] and stir until incorporated.

Using two spoons, dollop the mixture onto the pre-lined baking tray [you might actually need two, though it's best to bake them separately as they need a high shelf really] in, well....whoopie-pie sized mounds, about two inches wide.

Pour your mini eggs into a large freezer bag and smash to smitherines with a rolling pin/saucepan/pain-deserving utensil and stud the dolloped mixture with the sugary crumbs.



Bake for 15 - 20 minutes in the mid-top shelf of the oven until golden brown and crispy on top- kind of like a brownie. The dollops will inevitably merge together, but I found smaller sized mounds didn't cook well at all so it seems best to let go of perfection and go with the flow...of cookie dough.

When brought out of the oven, slice into squares or cut into cookie shapes. Peel from the paper whilst warm and gobble up.

Yum. Not a bad tasting mistake really.



18 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi, Danni!

Wow, it's taken me a long time to realise that you have a new blog... :/ I'm very sorry, and very stupid :)

That said... those biscuits look gorgeous! Kudos for trying eating them anyway... in my kitchen, they'd just have been binned. Woops.

(:

Happy Easter!

daisychain said...

Yummmm to tasty mistakes! I hope your balls are suitably decked for Easter x

Reckless Rekha. said...

They look fricking yum! Dribble* <3

Anonymous said...

Nomnom, cookie explosion. Possibly the best kind of explosion, ever. They look delicious anyway, and that's the main thing, right?
X

Life At Victoria House said...

They look so yummy :) I wish i could cook well! Even if you didnt mean to do it this way!
http://clashingtime.blogspot.com <3

Sherin said...

I lol-led like mad at the easter puns you wrote.
Sounds likethe cookies turned out well in the end, despite the icing sugar mistake. They do look delicious. And disasters can come out great. I had a mini disaster in the kitchen and my dinner looked awful. Then we ate it and it was pretty nice.

Miss T said...

I never thought I'd see a recipe incorporate my favourite easter snack. So glad you posted this, they look delicious. Sometimes accidents are the best! (:

Winnie said...

Aw I'm glad the Whoopie pies were still edible afterwards and were magically transformed into cookies! Whoopie pies are strange aren't they? I think they're traditionally a Amish treat? I just wouldn't have guessed that ever!

Rachel, Cold Knees said...

Mmm they look pretty good all the same! An accident is what made Eton Mess after all... xx

eliza said...

Oh my god, what an amazing mistake. These looks and sound very good, I will certainly be trying them.

xx

Kate said...

This is the best disaster ever! I'm definitely saving this recipe.

Claire said...

Yum. Goddamit you've made me seriously hungry and sugar-deprived. *sob* no fair...

*steals biscuits from housemate's cupboard*

Cx

Unknown said...

That sounds like the most awesome mistake ever made in the history of baking! Mmmicingsugar!

flights of fancy said...

These look so lovely!
Unfortunately I just devoured my whole tube of mini eggs before discovering this recipe...damn.

x

Unknown said...

These look yummy. May have to try, although easter is over you can never eat too many mini eggs right?!

Great blog :)

helen turnbull said...

ingenious idea! X

Three-Cookies said...

I love how you arrange your recipe - visually indicating the ingredients.

Three-Cookies said...

I love how you arrange your recipe - visually indicating the ingredients.